For the Chicken:
1 and 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup water
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Honey Sauce:
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for a hint of spice)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
Sliced green onions
Chinese Honey Chicken is a delicious and sweet-savory dish that’s a popular favorite in Chinese-American cuisine. The dish features tender pieces of chicken, coated in a light and crispy batter, then drizzled with a flavorful honey sauce. The combination of honey, soy sauce, and other Asian-inspired ingredients creates a mouthwatering balance of flavors. This homemade version of Chinese Honey Chicken allows you to enjoy the comfort of your favorite takeout dish right in the comfort of your own kitchen.
- Prepare the Chicken: In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and black pepper.
Gradually add 1 cup of water to the dry ingredients, whisking until you have a smooth batter.
Add the chicken pieces to the batter, making sure they are fully coated.
- Fry the Chicken: In a deep saucepan or wok, heat vegetable oil to 350°F (175°C).
Carefully drop the battered chicken pieces into the hot oil, frying them in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
Fry the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per batch, or until they are golden and cooked through.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fried chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Make the Honey Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic, grated ginger, and red pepper flakes (if using).
Heat the sauce over medium heat, stirring until all the ingredients are well combined and the sauce is heated through.
- Thicken the Sauce: In a separate small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, creating a cornstarch slurry.
Add the cornstarch slurry to the honey sauce, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. This will only take a minute or two.
- Coat the Chicken with Honey Sauce: Toss the fried chicken pieces in the honey sauce until they are evenly coated.
- Garnish and Serve: Transfer the Chinese Honey Chicken to a serving platter.
Sprinkle sesame seeds and sliced green onions over the chicken for added visual appeal and flavor.
- Enjoy Your Chinese Honey Chicken: Serve the delectable Chinese Honey Chicken over steamed rice or noodles.
Savor the delightful combination of crispy chicken pieces coated in a rich and sweet honey sauce with hints of savory flavors.
Chinese Honey Chicken is a restaurant-quality dish that’s surprisingly easy to make at home. The tender and crispy chicken, combined with the irresistible honey sauce, makes this dish a crowd-pleaser for both kids and adults alike. Whether it’s served as a main course for a family dinner or featured at a party or gathering, this flavorful Chinese-inspired dish is sure to leave everyone craving more. Enjoy the delectable taste of Chinese Honey Chicken, and relish in the sweet and savory balance that makes it a beloved classic in Chinese cuisine!